- LATEST CREATE INTERNATIONAL DVD RELEASE
- OSCAR HOSTS 1000 AT VIRTUAL PARTY
- GOING ON A MISSION TRIP? NEED INSURANCE? WANT TO HELP BRIGADA?
- MISSIONARY TRAINING CAMP
- CORRECTION ON PASTORS RETREAT NETWORK
- 25 FREE SECURE EMAIL ACCOUNTS FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION
- WEB OUTREACH FOCUS DAY ON 7 MAY
- NEWS FROM CHINA
- EMERCY’S CHURCH MISSIONS LEADERSHIP TRAINING
- AQUAPONICS TRAINING
- CROSS-CULTURAL MINISTRY SEMINAR
- GO TO THE NATIONS…AS AN ENGLISH TEACHER
- LET THE PEOPLE PRAY: THE HERERO PEOPLE
- AMAZING PARTNERS
- OPPORTUNITIES AT METRO DELHI INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, INDIA
- THE BACKPAGE: SPEAKING INTO THE LIFE OF A PEER OR BOSS
- CLOSING STUFF
- LATEST CREATE INTERNATIONAL DVD RELEASE — Two years in the making… you can now have your own audio visual tool to invigorate your missions mobilization and training efforts.
From Genesis to Revelation, God’s global purpose to reach all peoples unfolds in this power packed graphically dynamic presentation. The whole DVD (20 minutes) also includes 4 chapters (@5 minutes each) Biblical, Historical, Unreached People, and Involvement. Select which section you want to show for your teaching or mission promotions. It’s great for intercession times and even Sunday school classes at your local church.
This new DVD can be used as a teaching tool for Perspectives courses, mission conferences, churches and schools. It serves as an inspirational visual masterpiece to unfold God’s blessing for every believer – to join Him in reaching all peoples and thus fulfill God’s global purpose.
View a short sample video clip [mp4] of the Global Purpose:
To order the Global Purpose, please visit Create’s online store: http://www.createinternational.com/store (Thanks to Create Int’l for pitching in $100 toward Brigada’s 2006 budget. Please thank them with checking out this innovative product.)
- OSCAR HOSTS 1000 AT VIRTUAL PARTY — On 1st March 2006, OSCAR, the web-based UK Information Service for World Mission, relaunched it’s website with a virtual party on the Internet.
“We wanted an event that would potentially involve everyone who uses the OSCAR website, wherever they are,” says Mike Frith, OSCAR’s Founding Director. The re-launch also coincided with the organisation’s sixth birthday. Within the first few days of March 1st, the website was achieving over 1000 unique users per day and on the first day over 15,000 page views were reported. Mike continues “With our new website we are seeking to build an online community of people involved or interested in world mission. We want it to provide an interface for all those who wish to engage with the world for Christ’s sake, whether they are working overseas, supporting from home or just surfing for inspiration.”
Party goers are able to play virtual hide & seek, virtual pass the parcel, and mingle with other virtual party goers during activities and discussions. Everyone is invited to join in the party which continues until the end of March at http://www.oscar.org.uk (Oscar has also pitched in $50 this past week toward Brigada’s 2006 expenses. Please support this new Brigada sponsor . . . and to the folks at Oscar, we say “Thanks!!!”)
- GOING ON A MISSION TRIP? NEED INSURANCE? WANT TO HELP BRIGADA? – As was mentioned before, there are a lot of companies that offer international health, evacuation and travel insurance, but now when you purchase insurance from Insurance Services of America on Brigada’s website your purchase will help to support Brigada’s work with the missionary community! Coverage is available for any international need – short-term trips, career missionaries, trip cancellation, short-term teams and term life insurance.
For coverage details, rates and the online applications of the Brigada sponsored plans, go to http://www.missionaryhealth.net/brigada.htm . Insurance Services of America has agreed to help support Brigada from sales that are made on this link, so when you purchase on this site you will be helping to support Brigada! We all benefit from your business and we thank you!
- GGING ABOUT 21ST CENTURY MISSIONS — Urbana.org has just launched a new blog called Missional Hands designed to interview personnel staff from various mission agencies about one question – What is the most important skill to be a missionary in the 21st Century? Jon Hirst, Director of Communications for HCJB World Radio is writing the blog and is providing interaction for those students looking for more input on these key questions. This is a great resource for people considering missions as it asks the hard questions and tries to provide straightforward answers. Visit: http://www.urbana.org/blogs/blog.main.hands.cfm
- MISSIONARY TRAINING CAMP — With many requests for additional training, Elijah Company has scheduled an additional orientation from May 18-21, 2006. The four days provide steps, stamina and stature for missions. See http://www.elijahcompany.org for a description of the training and comments made by past participants. For additional information write to elijah(at)elijahcompany(dot)org. Or call with any questions to 757- 226-3507.
- CORRECTION ON PASTORS RETREAT NETWORK — Sorry that the Pastors Retreat Network isn’t in the position to invite missionaries after all. However, you could pass the word to your local church ministry staff. (Feb. 17th Brigada Today, Item #8, “NEED A GETAWAY?”) (To all those who might have checked with them, please pardon any inconvenience. They were recommended to us for that purpose.) However, Chad went beyond the call of duty and scoped out a dozen other locations that *do* take missionaries, some free, some for a charge. Click here to see the list of missionary retreat locations. (Thanks Chad!)
- 25 FREE SECURE EMAIL ACCOUNTS FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION — That’s right. Strategic Kingdom Building Ministries (SKBM) desires to offer the subscribers of Brigada Today, especially brothers and sisters in the field, free Secure E-Mail Accounts. This offer is limited to 25 accounts per ministry or organization. Because this is a public web site, they request an application of need be filled out by your organization’s leader. And because these accounts are secure, they ask also that the organization leader act as the point of contact to validate each account. The organization leader should provide the required information in accordance with the application format below.
For further information and to set up the accounts, please contact Troy Fournier at troy_fournier(at)yahoo(dot)com. Just send Troy your organization’s name, mission, purpose of the accounts, website, full contact info, along with the Last name, first name, middle initial, and current e-mail address of all members requiring an account.
- WEB OUTREACH FOCUS DAY ON 7 MAY — The Internet Evangelism Day website is at http://www.InternetEvangelismDay.com. The IE Day website contains many resources to help Christians understand and use the Internet to touch the world. It explains how to build a church website that can reach out into the community, or start an evangelistic blog. There is even a free evangelistic screensaver to download.
The site also offers materials for a mission team, training institution or church to easily stage a ‘web awareness’ focus program on 7 May (or at any time they choose). These include a PowerPoint presentation, video clips, music, drama skits, posters, discussion papers, handouts and many other ideas. (Thanks Tony!)
- NEWS FROM CHINA — Are you interested in current events and news in China? There is a Yahoo Group that is dedicated to bringing you the latest, most relevant and most interesting English-language news items about China, including trends and events that affect the church in China. The purpose of this Yahoo Group is to provide timely information for fellow workers within China as well as Sinophiles around the world. For more details or to subscribe, check out the China News Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/steves_china_news/
- EMERCY’S CHURCH MISSIONS LEADERSHIP TRAINING -— Emercy is hosting their second annual Missions Leadership Training Workshop in Tuscaloosa, Alabama on April 7-8, 2006. This workshop is designed to help church leaders mobilize their church for missions. Topics include Church mobilization, short-term teams, and ACMC’s Missions Assessment Profile. To register, call Emercy from the US toll free at 877-875-4483 or internationally: 205-409-4197. You can also register online at http://www.emercy.org/training
- AQUAPONICS TRAINING — It is not too late to register for the Barrel Aquaponics Workshop and/or the Aquaponics Conference held at Camp Living Water, Bryson City, NC, March 27 & 28 and March 29 – 31. Instruction will focus on “Aquaponics”, which is the combining of aquaculture and hydroponics for mutual benefit. Course participants learn the techniques of inexpensively constructing and managing these highly productive systems which are adaptable to all types of environments and proving to be an effective outreach ministry. Come and enjoy a rich learning experience, fellowship with Believers of like interest and the beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains. For more information or to register, visit: http://www.aquacultureinternational.org Full-time missionaries can register at the student rate of $30 for the Workshop, $60 for the Conference or $75 for both.
- CROSS-CULTURAL MINISTRY SEMINAR — Learn how to effectively minister in an international context by participating in short, informal summaries of proven research, strategic planning and biblical principles that have demonstrated real-world results in a variety of contexts. Worldview Research Group of Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA, invites you to attend its fourth annual Cross-Cultural Ministry Seminar to be held 4-8 September 2006. Missionary Training International, just 15 minutes north of Colorado Springs, in beautiful Palmer Lake, Colorado will once again host the event. Topics include summaries on a worldview approach to ministry, primitive religions, chronological bible teaching and more. Seminar facilitators bring decades of experience, and feature Dr. David Hesselgrave, Dr. Tom Steffen, Bob Strauss, Mark Zook, George Walker and Greg Melendes. Whether heading to the field for the first time, or heading back soon for another term, you will definitely profit from this seminar. For more information regarding curriculum, on-line registration and accommodations, please go to http://www.wrg3.org USA callers can call toll-free at 1-866-750-9743. Others can dial +1-719-282-7891, or e-mail WRG at: info(at)wrg3(dot)org. [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
- GO TO THE NATIONS…AS AN ENGLISH TEACHER — Here’s an exciting and intensive 4-week TESOL course equipping you with effective English teaching techniques, sponsored by Youth With A Mission (YWAM) in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, USA. The dates are May 8 – June 2 and again June 19 – July 14, 2006. Get a certificate upon completion. Find details, application forms, and alternate dates listed on http://www.ywampa.org. E-mail to ywampa(at)comcast(dot)net [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
- LET THE PEOPLE PRAY: THE HERERO PEOPLE — Almost 4 years ago, God called a young man to Namibia to begin researching the unengaged peoples of this country. Would there be any people groups who had not heard the Gospel message? Yes! During his 2-year assignment, God brought across his path those from the Herero, Mbalantu, Nama/Damara and Namibian Coloured people groups. They had little or no evangelical presence among them. You have been faithfully praying that these Forgotten Peoples will have the opportunity to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ. There continues to be many barriers for evangelical work in Namibia. Pray that the Lord will send workers into His harvest field! Pray that God will raise up Namibian men and women who have a passion to share Christ. Continually lift up the Herero, an unengaged people, before the Lord. Encourage others to adopt the Herero people for prayer by visiting http://www.forgottenpeoples.info or email sf_swac(at)altonet(dot)co(dot)za
- AMAZING PARTNERS — Thanks to Dial-Abroad.com once again for their amazing partnership and great help to keep Brigada coming to your screen each week. If you’ve ever need to change phone services… or start a new service, I really hope you’ll consider them. Just browse to: http://www.dial-abroad.org/brigada.htm This past week they sent $74 more. Please keep talkin’! :-) Want to join them in becoming and amazing partner? Just click on “sponsor” in the top menu (to use PayPal or a credit card), or if you prefer, send a check payable to Team Expansion to: Team Expansion (Brigada secretary), 11327 Jefferson Trace Blvd., Louisville, KY 40291. As always, be sure to let us know if you’d like us to promote any particular service or ministry, or if you’d prefer your gift be anonymous. In any case, thanks for considering Brigada in your estate giving, your monthly church missions fund, and/or your own personal giving for this calendar year.
- OPPORTUNITIES AT METRO DELHI INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, INDIA — Metro Delhi Int’l School has tons of opportunities, including Middle School- Secondary School Teacher/Administrator, Secondary English-Language Arts Teacher, and many more. This is a Christian school that uses American Curriculum. They have students from 14 different countries, and they are in our 4th year. Log on at http://www.mdis.net for a free video or more information on the school email them at info(at)mdis(dot)net [As a means of preventing spam for our contributors, in the preceding email address(es), please replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .]
- THE BACKPAGE: SPEAKING INTO THE LIFE OF A PEER OR BOSS — Ever hear the term “whistleblower?” The term is usually used to describe a worker who turns in the boss or a whole company for something unethical or incompatible with principles of honesty, fairness, or other company values. How can you avoid the stigma (or the pink slip) handed to a whistleblower, while still speaking into the life of a boss or company? First, work to become a supportive insider rather than a fence-sitting cynic. Sometimes, whistleblowers are already alienated long before they get publicity for “turning someone in.” Let’s face it: those who have built up a relationship of trust can usually communicate one-on-one. They don’t have to resort to confrontational “stunts” to get their point across. (*Usually* — there are exceptions.)
Second, remember that sometimes there are circumstances beyond the control of the boss or company… “Walk a mile in their moccasins” before you become a cynic. In other words, suppose you decide to confront your boss on the company’s lack of follow-through on a policy to recruit customer support personnel, only to find that the company has worked its tail off trying to *find* customer service personnel of the quality they are seeking. What we mean is — sometimes it’s easy to critique your boss or your team from your vantage point. Only as a trusted insider will you truly understand the long-term desires of your leadership.
Third, try to figure out how you can become a part of the solution, rather than a part of the whistle. If your team is short on finances, ask if you can take a portion of your work-week to take a class on support-raising, with a view to helping shore up needed finances. If you feel your church is losing people out the “back door”, volunteer to take a few hours/week to visit new converts in an attempt to supplement the training they’re getting. You get the idea. Think like an insider… Don’t view yourself as a “victim”. You’re not stuck. Think as a belonger. Ask, “What problem is my boss facing and how can I become a part of the solution to his problem, so it will in turn help me do my job better too?”
What if things go south? What if your best efforts are misunderstood? How do you handle it if your motives are misjudged? Tune in next week for the final “BackPage” in this series.